Friday, August 25, 2017

Purple Linen Sashiko Skirt

Finally, the skirt is done.  These last few weeks in August have been quite humid.  It's hard to do anything when the heat and humidity slow you down.
I experimented with the Babylock Sashiko machine again.  I did apply fusible interfacing to the bias waistband but not on the skirt area.  I wasn't sure whether the machine would stitch smoothly without interfacing or batting but it did just fine!  The variegated thread is Valdani cotton.

(Click on any pic if you need to see an enlargement)

























On the inside waist band facing I chose to hand pick the under stitching to keep the facing from rolling to the outside.  Machine under stitching can be rigid with crisp fabrics, therefore I chose to hand stitch to keep it more pliable.  I also used the silk twill for the Hong Kong seam finish.   The lining is Bemberg Ambiance rayon. 




I suppose I need to make a blouse to go with this.  I have a habit of drifting onto other projects so that may not happen right away.

2 comments:

  1. So beautiful Ruth. What a lovely ensemble. It looks like something I would find in a couture shop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you ! With your visionary talent I will expect to see something super creative next time we meet !

    ReplyDelete