Tuesday, July 25, 2017

Making A New Garment With Scraps and Remnants

Some of the most difficult sewing challenges have actually turned out to be the most creative and rewarding experiences ever.  It feels really satisfying to pull your resources together to find a solution to a problem.  I was determined to turn those purple linen scraps into a new garment. Most of us have so many fabrics and notions in our stash that we are bound to come up with something!

The problem: How to make a new garment with scraps and remnants.

My fitted purple linen dress simply did not meet my expectations.  I stopped right in the middle of the project when I realized it was heading south fast.  I had several large fabric remnants that could be re-cut into a new project.  On to "Plan B".


Since I have been having so much fun playing with the Babylock Sashiko machine I continued with some free motion stitching.  Wow what fun!! 

I looked through my pattern collection and decided to use this wearable art vest pattern created by Lois Ericson.  I was able to recut my purple linen for some of the pattern pieces.  I combined the solid purple linen with a yellow and purple linen. The sleeve units are actually detachable so the vest can be worn without the sleeves.  I added bias loops and abalone buttons.  The under arm seam of the sleeve is sewn half way up.



 
























Sleeve Units:  I used a super light weight fusible interfacing across the cap of the sleeve to prevent cross grain stretching.  I top stitched the upper edge of the sleeve unit before adding the lining.



Inside lining and facings:

I made one set of facings with pieced segments and the other solid purple with the free motion stitching.  I thought this set looked too busy so I just used them on the inside.

Working with linen is wonderful to sew on.  Natural fibers take a great press.  I'm not overly fond of wrinkles but the performance and comfort is just great !

With my remaining remnant scraps I will attempt to make a skirt.




2 comments:

  1. This is a timely post as I want to use my linen scraps. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Design and Sew patterns by Lois Ericson are especially designed to use bits and pieces of fabrics. She passed away not too long ago. Some of her patterns are still available. The photos on the patterns definitely do not do them justice. They fit great! The designs and pattern features are beyond clever!

    ReplyDelete