Thursday, August 31, 2017

Copying my "Go To" Pants

Do I own any 'Ready-to-Wear' garments ?  Yes, but not that many.   I find the shopping process very frustrating when you still feel the garment must have some alteration to get the fit you are looking for. I can usually sew something in less time!   Anyhow, I actually had a pair of cotton pants that fit just great.  I wore them and wore them until they were only appropriate to be worn for yard work.  Rather than toss them into the garbage can I converted them into a pattern.  This guarantees a great fit without having to make a muslin on a new pattern and spend endless hours tweaking the fit.




For detailed instructions of my process please check out the October/November 2017 issue of Threads magazine.  I'm rather excited they chose to publish some of my work!




The dotted tracing paper lines show on the wrong side of the fabric.



The area where the welt pocket is to be sewn has a strip of fusible interfacing to prevent cross grain stretch.
 The back welt is machine stitched and basted close .






Fabric: Dusty purple wool gabardine from Sawyer Brook Distinctive Fabrics in Clinton, Mass.




The waist band is finished off with a facing .




After the waist band facing is attached I top stitched next to the white hand basted guide lines .

No comments:

Post a Comment