Friday, November 18, 2016

Vogue Geoffrey Beene Wool Boucle Coat 2585

Geoffrey Beene designs are among my most favorite patterns to sew.  The comfort and design of the sleeves is hard to compare.  I underlined the wool boucle with silk double georgette.  It was difficult to find an underlining that didn't peek through.  I tested various buttonholes and decided on bound buttonholes to showcase these beautiful buttons.  I'm so lucky to have a machine that stitches out the rectangle buttonhole stitch....so great for those bound buttonholes. I have the BERNINA 830LE which allows me to adjust the width of my rectangle as well.

 I hand basted the silk underlining to keep it from shifting during construction.   The underlining also helps to support four pockets on the jacket front. This garment is self-lined with the same wool boucle.  Much to my surprise I found the collar to be quite warm and comfortable.   The buttonhole at the neckline is part of the seam.
The pocket flaps have working bound buttonholes too!  



1 comment:

  1. The fabric was a great choice and makes a beautiful top! I'm glad you like it and that its great to wear!

    Silk Organza Fabric NYC

    ReplyDelete