Thursday, June 22, 2017

Summer Time Sewing

Summer time sewing and crafting always generates great memories for me.  I spent many hot summer vacations sewing with my friends during junior and senior high.  Since central air didn't exist in those days we managed to keep fairly cool by engaging in some sort of hands-on project down in my dry basement. My friends would come over and we would chill out sewing or crafting with buttons, beads etc.  I specifically remember an elastic bracelet covered with tons of antique buttons sewn to one inch wide elastic. Some buttons were sterling, mother of pearl etc.  My Mother always had spare beads from a broken strand of a necklace.  The concept kind of reminds me of the Pandora bracelets so popular now.  And of course, besides crafting,  I always managed to create a few new garments for the new school year.

This summer I have a brand new sewing challenge;  I just bought the Viking Epic sewing computer.   This electronic wonder has embroidery storage in the 'cloud'.  And this machine can read ANY file format for all those embroidery graphics!!!   Your fingers simply swipe and move things on that tablet like screen.  I'm on Cloud 9.   I'll be showing off some of that in a future blog.

 Here it is late June and the schools are officially winding down.  Around here the kids walk home if they are within one mile.  As I was driving home I observed a pack of students with their heads down and their thumbs punching away on their cell phones.  (who cares about watching the traffic)   I wonder what activities they have planned ?   I just bet my Viking Epic will be more engaging and productive than exercising my thumbs on a key board.

Last summer I approached my local school district hoping to offer a summer sewing camp for residents in the community.  Sadly, due to insurance reasons they turned me down!   Even the local libraries come up with excuses why they can't participate.  Any ideas where to teach summer sewing camps ?  I would love the opportunity to share some positive hands-on time!

Now, down to the sewing. I like my summer time creations to be fairly simple; no buttons, zippers or full linings.   Wrap dresses are fast and forgiving.  I like being able to adjust the tie belt accordingly as the weather gets more humid.  Given the fact summer clothes are in the wash more frequently I like to incorporate seam finishes that will survive the washing machine.  On this wrap dress I used cotton batiste in my bias binder and Hong Kong seam finishes on the neckline facings.

This is a 1953 McCalls wrap dress.  There are tons of web sites where you can get vintage patterns.
Simplicity recently released  a vintage inspired wrap #8085 just like this vintage Mc Calls. Unlike my Burda pattern with the princess dart this dress has two darts.  To hide the structural components I lined the bodice area with a light weight cotton batiste.  The fabric is Hawaiian Bark cloth which is breathable and fairly wrinkle resistant. 












This is a typical Bias Binder attachment which fits many Singer machines.  If I add my Bernina shank adapter I can use it on many of my Berninas.








The BOUND seam finishes are incredibly durable for unlined garments and hold up really well when machine washed.
This is the bodice inside shot.  I lined the bodice with cotton batiste to cover the construction features of the darts.  The bodice lining also provides a hint more of structural privacy.  The facings are finished with a Hong Kong seam finish here as opposed to the BOUND seam finishes in the skirt.  The neckline is also 'piped' with a solid black cotton piping.  The piping keeps the facing from rolling to the public side, prevents the neckline from stretching and is decorative. 












I have always enjoyed tropical prints and this Bark cloth is very comfortable on those hot summer days.













The back view shown below.






























































No comments:

Post a Comment