Thursday, June 1, 2017

Sewing Before the Days of Technology

I simply can't go anywhere for any length of time without my sewing!  Sewing is such a productive and practical past time.  It's such a good feeling to create something useful.  ( I can't relate to exercising my thumbs on a mini key board all day long!  How is that a satisfying or productive experience?)

If you are a baby-boomer then you know first hand what it is like to sew with super basic equipment . We grew up before they had home sergers or computerized embroidery machines.  When rotary blades, cutting mats and clear view rulers entered the sewing market I was thrilled!  About the same time a lot of fusible products entered the sewing arena. Can't really say I like the firm, inflexible and crusty feel of  fusible zippers, liquid stitch or Fray Check.  Honestly, basting still produces significantly nicer results!  I still remember sewing over 2,000 beads by hand on my wedding gown.  Bottom line, some of the tried and true basics still produce great results.

This past week I spent some quality time with my 90 year old Mom.  I sewed two wrap dresses during my visit and she made several lap blankets for people in wheel chairs.   All I  have  is my trusty 1935 Singer Featherweight straight stitch sewing machine, scissors , pins, seam ripper and a few spools of thread.  (Not a good idea to transport a serger and rotary equipment on a plane.)


I select my patterns and projects very carefully when I travel.  I avoid making any garments that require special pressing equipment.  At her home I have a basic iron and an old solid wood ironing board.  I have no clue how old that ironing board is.  (The same rules apply when you sew in a hotel room.  You are forced to lay out your fabric and cut on top of that desk or dresser.) I also avoid patterns with buttonholes because that means packing a heavy buttonhole attachment.  The buttonhole attachment actually produces a very nice buttonhole but I still prefer the Bernina 830 LE buttonhole.  I'm spoiled by the features of that machine!  I am always over-riding the default on the spread between the bead rows.






This is Burda 3737.   A super simple wrap with attached tie belt.   I made French seams everywhere including the princess bust seam lines. This is possible if  the princess seam lines are not very curvy. The weave of the fabric is a major consideration too.  Tightly woven fabrics like twill most likely will not be as successful as crepe. Look for pliable weaves. And of course do a test sample before actually sewing on your garment.  Clearly the French seams are the most attractive in my opinion providing the fabric is light weight.  If you can't do a French seam then your options are narrowed down to a clean finish .  The zig-zag finish is the last resort for my sewing since I prefer cleaner finishes.  ( I do have a zig-zag attachment for the Featherweight but I didn't bring that on the plane either.) Truth be told, sergers add quite a bit of bulk to a seam finish with all that thread unless you are able to find extremely fine weight thread.  Lastly, French seams hold up really well with frequent laundering!

I forgot to bring a few safety pins to turn the tie bands inside out.   I used the handle of a wooden spoon.  I taped the fabric on the tip of the handle before I pushed it through the tube.



2 comments:

  1. Wow love the dress and brilliant spoon idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those surgical clamps are also super handy for turning things inside out !

      Delete