Wednesday, February 8, 2017

I LOVE Buttons !

More than 10 years ago The New York Times printed a feature news article on the Button and Notion Centre located in Rockville Centre, Long Island, New York.  Needless to say, as soon as I read that article I was in my car driving down Southern State Parkway to this wonderful old shop in the village. ( It's within walking distance of the Long Island rail road.)  Wow, wow, wow!!!!  This shop has more buttons  than any store that I have ever seen in Manhattan.  I can spend hours in this store! 
On my latest trip I found a 'mother of pearl' buckle for my wool hounds-tooth jumper. I NEVER make buttonholes in a garment until I have the perfect button.  I never cut out a garment until I have all the notions I need.  That may take some time to gather the perfect thread, the perfect lining, the perfect buttons and the perfect pattern.  It's always worth the wait !  I'm always much happier with the end results.
Here are a few of my latest finds from this wonderful button store. The owners really know how to find just the perfect button.




 Above: Mother of Pearl belt buckle. Fabric: cashmere/wool blend hounds tooth from Banksville Fabrics in Connecticut.  Banksville is another store that I can spend hour after hour fondling luxurious fabric.  The quality is just unbelievable.  Definitely worth the drive from anywhere!

Below:  Note the 'cross yarns' on the button match the continuous eyelash yarns in the fabric! How cool is that ?  This silk/rayon blend fabric is from Sawyer Brook Fabrics, MA.



Gold wool Boucle is a Pendleton fabric. 


                                         Above: Silk and linen blend tweed is from                                                                                                Sawyer Brook Fabrics, Clinton, MA.
                                           Below: Mother of pearl buttons on silk jacquard.


No comments:

Post a Comment