Wednesday, February 8, 2017

Another Burda pattern challenge.

This is Burda magazine September 2014, pattern # 122.  This dress has a circular godet inset on the front.  The back of the hemline is longer than the front.  I chose to modify the back length because I didn't particularly care about looking into the wrong side of the fabric from the front view.   I also added a full lining.  The pattern calls for the lining to end just below the hips which didn't appeal to me.  I also added black birds-eye linen piping to the upper bodice segments.  This 'salt and pepper' fabric is from Sawyer Brook Distinctive Fabrics.  (linen and silk blend crepe yarn)





                                             I used an invisible zipper on the center back.

I used Bemberg Ambiance rayon lining.   To make sure you are getting the real deal look for the gold printed lettering along the selvage of the fabric.  Ambiance is totally machine washable .  
Refer to the manufacturers directions. 




I hand basted the 1/4 inch hem to keep ripples from forming on this circular hemline before I machine stitched the tiny hem.  That was time well-spent.   (I do hand sewing/basting when I find myself waiting while my car is being serviced or while I am in the doctors waiting room. )



Finishing touches:  I made a ONE inch long French tack to keep the lining from creeping up.

















2 comments:

  1. Ruth,

    The dress looks awesome!!! and I love the added piping. Your comments about the customization and why....Yep, I agree with every jot and tittle...When will you offer a class in which I can tackle making the dress with your expert help???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Classes are available at Sew Right in Queens, NY. If you don't live in the area please forward your questions.

      Delete