Friday, February 21, 2020

Buying Your First Sewing Machine

Advice for first time machine owners:  What do you really need? 

IMost beginners rarely own a machine when they begin their sewing journey.  Newbies often have access to a machine that belongs to a family member or friend. I started sewing Barbie clothes when I was six. Naturally, I used whatever machine was available to me.  Most machines were flatbeds in those days. My grandmother had a Singer treadle. Wow, that was so much fun!

My first machine was the Singer 500A Slant-O-Matic  a.k.a. 'Rocketeer' (flatbed) that my Mom purchased as my Christmas and graduation present.  I can still hear my father's voice asking my mother why she didn't just buy me a new one instead of this gently used trade-in. This machine was probably about 7 years old at the time.  She convincingly told him this metal gear-driven machine was far more substantial, had more features and accessories making it a much smarter purchase.This machine also had a 'drop in bobbin' which is easier for a beginner to thread. This machine offered multiple needle positions which is a MUST !   I still have this machine and still use it for sewing upholstery because it can handle heavy duty fabric. I used this machine for nearly 15 years.  There are a ton of previously loved machines out there that will give you an opportunity to evaluate features you may want depending on what you like to sew.  A brand new machine will be more costly and may not offer user-friendly features.  Ironically, entry level machines tend to be somewhat harder to navigate functions like buttonholes and stitch variations.  It's so much easier to push a single button than to go through a series of steps.

My Second machine:
As my sewing skills improved and my pockets became a little deeper I was able to purchase another machine that offered more advanced features coupled with user-friendly performance. I bought a Bernina 930 in 1986.  This machine has a 'free arm' which makes it super easy to sew cuffs when you are sewing in a smaller area. On this machine the free arm measures 9 5/8" circumference.  On my newest Bernina it is 10 7/8 !  Some free arms may measure more than 11 inches which is quite large making it more challenging to sew a sleeve or leg.  (Yes, I measure the circumference of all free-arm machines!)  Once you have sewn with a 'free arm' you wont be interested in a flatbed unless you are a quilter. Quilters aren't sewing around the circumference of a cuff or pant leg.  I just love a Bernina buttonhole. Both sides come out balanced.  Love, love, love Bernina latch on feet.  This machine has a bobbin case instead of a drop in bobbin.  I still use this machine almost every day!  What a work horse. Gorgeous stitch quality.  Runs like a solid V-8 engine!  If you come across one of these in good condition I would grab it !  They are out there.


What kind of sewing do you do ?
 I primarily sew garments which means I need a great buttonhole and a great straight stitch.  Stitches will show on the surface of the garment so they need to look great.  It is important to evaluate what you want to create and then match up a machine to your skills and interests.   Example: I like to use a screw in type seam gauge near the throat plate for nice straight seams.  There needs to be a screw hole near the throat plate.  I had to figure this out on my own because no one told me.  I know I do NOT want a screw down throat plate.  I constantly change out the plates from straight stitch to the wider mm openings. A straight stitch throat plate and a straight stitch foot will give you a straighter stitch with less 'play'.  The 'pop off plates' make this task super fast. Taking out a screw driver to change a throat plate is way too tedious for me.
Feet:  Well, there are screw-on feet, snap -on feet, and 'latch-style' feet.   The Bernina 'latch-on' style fit are clearly substantial and super easy to get on and off quickly.  They are my favorite.

My Singer Featherweights:  My first Singer dates back to 1935.  These solid metal machines are just wonderful. Loads of accessories. They are very portable.  Light weight.  Great stitch quality.  This is easy to carry on an airplane if you must travel with your machine. Love it!  During the hurricane I ran a power cord from my den into the garage and plugged it into my car.  ( older blog- posted on 5/22/17 )


My first Serger:  What is it ? Why do I need it? 
It is a machine that trims the seams allowances and finishes the edge in one step.  The stitches on the seam finish look like ready-to-wear.  Incidentally, I no longer feel the need to compare my garments with ready-to-wear.  I still prefer the clean, polished look of a simple straight stitch  of a French seam.
Why did I buy it ? All sewing addicts feed their habit with new toys whether they need it or not.  I suppose I wanted to broaden my horizon and finish my seams like commercial clothing.  It definitely is faster.  I like it for sewing knits.  It's great on bulky fabrics that ravel.


Computer Embroidery Machines:   These machines have built in cameras, laser beams, scanners, wi-fi,  etc. etc.  They do everything but cook dinner.  Technology is a wonderful thing! 

If you have any questions you would like to ask...  please post them and I will give you my thoughts.




No comments:

Post a Comment