Wednesday, January 24, 2018

Audition Those Decorative Stitches !

I am guilty!  I have NOT used many of the decorative stitches probably because I didn't appreciate the stitch shown on the sewing machine screen.  Some machines have the stitches printed on a lid or index card like panel.  Sadly, those images really do not allow you to see how beautiful they can be.

I made a couple of these display panels out of linen but most of them in canvas.  That's what I had in my stash.  There may be other fabrics you may prefer.  I used a pen to graph out  the lines.  I made each box approximately 1 1/2 inches wide by 2  1/2 inches deep.  Next time around I think I will make the length about 4 inches long.  It takes about 15 minutes to draw all the graph lines and then about 45 minutes to stitch out the patterns.

I maintained all the default settings.   If I plan on using a design then I will play around with the settings depending on how the stitch is being used and the type of thread I might use.  My samples charts are sewn with polyester thread.   I have tried to stitch out all the stitches from different machines.  I'm not going to post  15 display panels.  You get the idea. I find most stitches do quite nicely on linen without adding fusible interfacing to the wrong side.   Some of the stitches will need additional support from fusible interfacing especially on light or mid weight cotton.   ( click on each photo to see enlargement of the stitches.      





                                      These samples are ribbon wound on the bobbin for reverse bobbin work.   Bunka cord works nicely too.                                                                                                         

I made three rows of a snow flake design to echo the scallop shaping  on this linen bodice.  It takes a little imagination to figure out where to use some of these designs.  

The tan fabric is a silk and linen blend.  The stipple stitch was sewn upside down with perle cotton wound on my bobbin.   I plan on using the yardage for  a wearable art vest. 


I started to play around with the stitch width and length .

No comments:

Post a Comment