Friday, May 19, 2017

My Babylock Sashiko Debut !

I am one of those procrastinators who waits for a fabric to 'speak to me' before I have the guts to plunge into a new garment.  I can spend endless hours perusing (and fondling)  my fabric sample cards trying to match the fabric into the perfect pattern. People who sew have to have that tactile experience!   There are times when I question why I bought a particular fabric.  That's the best opportunity to use those fabrics for the muslin test samples.
This silk fabric is from Sawyer Brook Fabrics. The variegated yarns in this fabric may camoflage single rows of top stitching.  I selected a triple thread stitch which I liked.  Yes, I absolutely tested my sample first.  I have no intention of spending time removing unwanted stitches. I also felt  the collar needed to be a contrast fabric.  Then I tested out a few samples to evaluate how top-stitching would look on the collar.  Finally the light bulb went on and I tested the 'hand picked' stitch by using my Babylock Shasiko machine.  BINGO !  I used a Valdani   35 weight variegated cotton thread which provided the necessary texture.


This is a fully lined dress (Ambiance Rayon.)




I had to re-set the right sleeve three times until I got it right.  That is precisely why I never, ever remove my contrast thread tailor tacks until the job is done and fits to my satisfaction.  Sleeve caps really need to have the ease distributed evenly between those dots or you end up with puckers.  It's easy to see if the sleeves are tilted when there are horizontal stripes.


Having a dress mannequin is a handy way to stand back and evaluate the garment from a distance.  I put off purchasing one for many years!  They are extremely helpful when you want to audition a possible item.



The pattern calls for a 'hook and eye'
closure at the base of the collar where my blue straight pin is currently located.  I'm thinking of a loop and button closure. I will pin something on for a day or two to evaluate how well I like it.

I ended up sewing on a large hook and eye .











I photographed the dress with a belt.  I think it may need a fancier belt if I chose to wear one.



2 comments: